This is a technique used to operate more efficiently.
5S is made up of five elements, all of which need to be applied to organise work in an effective and efficient manner.
- Sort - Identify items that are required and remove those that are not.
- Set In Order or Straighten - Organise the required item to optimise efficiency and work flow.
- Shine - Clean the area to make it easier to identify issues.
- Standardise - Implement clear labelling and colour coding everywhere to provide consistency.
- Sustain - Develop ways of working that keep the workplace well organised all the time.
This methodology is also known as 6S, with the sixth element being safety.